Terms and conditions – Accommodation bookings
Your contract with us
1. Your contract is with us, Dart Abbey Enterprise Limited, which is a wholly owned subsidiary company
Making your booking
2. You may request a booking in person, by telephone, by e-mail, or in writing.
3. You may only make a booking on behalf of someone else if you are authorised to do so and provided that you agree to be responsible for that person’s compliance with these terms as if they were the person making the booking.
4. Bookings are non-transferable.
5. If you make a booking for between 5 and 10 rooms (inclusive) for the same one night, we shall treat this as a Small Group Booking in which case paragraph 20 below shall also apply. If you make a booking for between 5 and 10 rooms (inclusive) for 2 or more of the same nights, or for more than 10 rooms for the same one or more nights, we shall treat this as a Large Group Booking in which case paragraph 21 below (but not paragraph 20) shall also apply.
6. A contract is only formed between you and us when we accept your booking request. No booking request shall be binding on us and no contract shall be formed unless and until we confirm to you that we have accepted your booking request.
7. If you have any special requirements (for example, because of infirmity or disability) please let us know at the time of booking. We will endeavour to accommodate your requirements, but our ability to do so is dependent on what these are and on the availability of a suitable room.
8. You must be at least 18 years old to make a booking.
9. We reserve the right to ask you to pay some or all of the price of your booking in advance.
10. The price for each room per night is (except in the case of obvious errors) as advertised on our web site at the relevant time (www.buckfastaccommodation.org.uk), unless we notify you of a different price at the time of your booking. Unless stated otherwise, all charges are inclusive of VAT.
11. The price includes overnight occupancy of a double room by one or two adults (plus children in the circumstances set out below) and the following morning’s breakfast. No more than two adults may occupy the room. Breakfast is served at the times advertised on our web site, or as otherwise advised to you upon arrival. Other meals are not included in the price.
12. The price does not include the cost of any other of our chargeable services which you might use during your stay.
13. The price of your booking is payable in full on your scheduled day of departure, less any advance payments we may have already received from you.
14. If you fail to settle your account upon departure, your credit or debit card will be charged for the full amount due.
15. By entering into a contract with us, you accept responsibility for paying all charges due to us under the contract. By providing your credit/debit card details to us when making your booking you are irrevocably authorising us to debit your card by the amount of this charge (and any other charges due to us under this contract).
16. Payment may be made in cash, by cheque, BACS or by most credit/debit cards.
Check in and check out
17. Your room/ property will normally be available for you from 3pm on your scheduled day of arrival. Please let us know if you are likely to arrive after 10pm so that we can make sure someone is available to check you in. Unless we specifically agree otherwise with you, you must vacate your room /property by 11am on your scheduled day of departure. If you do not do so, you will be charged a late checkout fee of £35 per room up to 4.00pm and a further full night’s stay after 4.00pm. Room keys/swipe cards must be returned to reception on departure.
Cancellation by you
18. Other than in respect of Small Group Bookings and Large Group Bookings (where paragraphs 20 and 21 respectively apply), you may cancel your booking at any time before 3.00pm Forty Eight hours before your scheduled date of arrival without incurring a cancellation charge, provided that you make the cancellation in writing, telephone call or email (in accordance with paragraph 33).
19. If you cancel your booking after the time stated in paragraph 18, or if you do not take up your booking (a “no-show”), you will be charged for one night’s accommodation (other than in the case of Small Group Bookings and Large Group Bookings, where paragraphs 20 and 21 respectively apply) .
Small Group Booking (Up to 14 People)
20. In the event of a Small Group Booking, the following terms apply:
(a) We reserve the right to require payment of a non-refundable deposit of up to 50% of the total price of your booking at the time of booking, and payment of the balance (or, if no deposit has been taken, the total price of your booking) at least 10 working days before arrival ,and we reserve the right to cancel a Group Booking without liability to you if the balance (or, as applicable, the total price of your booking) is not paid by the due date;
(b) We require a list of all guests at least 10 working days before arrival;
(c) If you cancel the Small Group Booking or reduce the number of rooms or number of nights required at least 10 working days before arrival, we shall be entitled to retain the deposit (either in respect of the Small Group Booking as a whole or, as applicable, in respect of the rooms or nights reduced); and
(d) If you cancel the Small Group Booking or reduce the number of rooms or number of nights required less than 14 working days before arrival or if you do not take up your Small Group Booking in whole or in part (a “no-show”), you will be charged the price of the Small Group Booking in full (subject to any reduction in respect of rooms we are able to “re-sell” to customers for whom we would not otherwise have had available rooms).
Large Group Booking (14 people plus)
21 In the event of a Large Group Booking, the following terms apply:
(a) We reserve the right to require payment of a non-refundable deposit of up to 25% of the total price of your booking at the time of booking, and payment of the balance (or, if no deposit has been taken, the total price of your booking) at least 10 working days before arrival, and we reserve the right to cancel a Large Group Booking without liability to you if the balance (or, as applicable, the total price of your booking) is not paid by the due date;
(b) We require a list of all guests at least 10 working days before arrival;
(c) If you cancel the Large Group Booking or reduce the number of rooms or number of nights required or if you do not take up your Large Group Booking in whole or in part (a “no-show”), the cancellation charges you must pay shall be determined by reference to the table below (subject to any reduction in respect of rooms we are able to “re-sell” to customers for whom we would not otherwise have had available rooms).
Length of time before the scheduled day of arrival
Cancellation charge (expressed as a percentage of the applicable room rate for the cancelled room(s) for the night(s) in question)
|Over 12 weeks||No charge|
|Between 12 and 8 weeks||25%|
|Between 6 and 8 weeks||50%|
|Between 2 and 6 weeks||75%|
|Less than 2 weeks||90%|
Children at Northgate House
22. Subject to suitable rooms being available, one or two children up to the age of 14 may share a room with one or two paying adults. There will be an additional charge of £20 per night for each child, where we are able to do so. Children over the age of 14 must stay in their own room which will be charged at the full rate. You must let us know at the time of booking if you wish any children to share your room, and it will be our decision as to whether or not suitable rooms are available. You must not leave any children under the age of 14 unattended in your room at any time.
23 Smoking is not allowed in any of our rooms or Properties. If you smoke in your room, we shall charge you an additional £150 to cover our costs to have the room cleaned.
24. We regret that, other than guide dogs, hearing dogs and other assistance dogs, no pets or other animals are allowed in your room or properties. We shall charge you an additional £150 to cover our costs to have the room / property cleaned. Events outside our control
25. We shall not be liable or responsible for any failure to perform, or delay in performance of, any of our obligations under our contract with you that is caused by events outside our reasonable control (such as serious damage to our premises, serious adverse weather conditions, a pandemic or epidemic, or interruption or failure of utility services such as electric power, gas or water).
Our liability to you
26. Other than in the circumstances set out in paragraph 25, in the event that a room is not available by your scheduled check-in time, our sole liability will be to use reasonable endeavours to offer you alternative accommodation at another nearby venue of a similar standard for a similar price.
27. Subject to paragraph 28, our total liability to you for any loss you suffer will be limited to the total price of your booking. We will not be liable for any losses which were not reasonably foreseeable to both you and us when the contract was entered into, or for any losses that were not caused by any breach of contract or breach of statutory duty or negligence on our part.
28. Nothing in these terms excludes or limits in any way our liability for death or personal injury caused by negligence, or for fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation, or for any other matter for which it would be illegal or unlawful for us to exclude or limit (or attempt to exclude or limit) our liability.
Your liability to us
29. You will be liable for any damage you cause to your room or to any other areas of our property.
30. Any error or omission in any information or document issued by us shall be subject to correction provided that the correction does not materially affect the contract.
31. If any court or competent authority decides that any of the provisions of these terms are invalid, unlawful or unenforceable to any extent, the term will, to that extent only, be severed from the remaining terms, which will continue to be valid to the fullest extent permitted by law.
32. No person who is not a party to our contract with you shall have any rights under or in connection with it.
33. All written communications by you to us must be sent by post to Accommodation, Northgate House, Buckfast Abbey , Buckfast, Devon, England, TQ11 0EE or by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org (or to such other address that we may notify to you). We may send written communications to you at either the e-mail or postal address you give us.
34. In these terms a “working day” means a day other than a Saturday, Sunday or public holiday in England when banks in London are open for business.
35. These terms shall be governed by English law and shall be subject to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.